I made some cute little fruit cups for my daughter’s preschool class party today and wanted to pass along this idea. I love these fruit cups because they are so lovely in person- my little girls were THRILLED to see these come out of the fridge.
It is so quick and so easy and this would be a great option for birthday parties or class parties as an alternative to sweets.
I have two ways to serve the fruit cups and I can tell you first hand I ate two of these today so they are delicious.
The first option is just to layer several kids of fruit into little clear plastic cups. I found that 3 colors or more is best and you can use any fruit that is in season. I ran low on fruit and had a few cups that were just raspberries, pineapple and grapes and they still looked great.
A few other suggestions:
- I used Kiwi to create my green layer and found it didn’t hold up nearly as well as the green grapes (sliced in half). You might also try Honeydew.
- Purple grapes would be a great addition if you use honeydew or kiwi for the green layer.
- I would avoid apples and bananas for the yucky browning factor.
- I used tangerines for the orange layer but mango would be fantastic as well or cantaloupe.
- Layer it all at the last minute to keep the colors nice and bright.
I just cut up all the fruit the night before- and for little ones I diced the fruit for small bite size pieces.
The next morning right before the party I just layered all the fruit in little cups and I found some plastic cups that came with lids. Poke a fork in the straw hole and you have a treat with a lot of wow factor.
Plastic Cups with lids
If you want to make something a little sweeter (for say a birthday party)- I mixed up some fresh whipped cream and added a nice dollop on top. I also topped with sprinkles because everything is better with sprinkles- #obv. This was so delicious!! Chopped nuts, shaved chocolate or toasted coconut would also be fantastic! Just a little goes a long way.
In our school snack time is at 9:30am- so the kids are celebrating with cookies and cupcakes and getting all that sugar first thing in the morning. This is a great alternative. I would just bring the whipped cream and dollop it as you hand out the cups.
It really is very simple and the children will love it.